Originally built as Shamrock II by the Bridlington Harbour Shipwright Co.
In 1946 the Shamrock II was intended to carry passengers from the Golden Ball slip, Scarborough, the then owners Donny and Frank Dalton were to trade from the slip for a period of four years until the untimely death of Frank Dalton on the 9th December 1951 on board the Scarborough Lifeboat ECTR. (Bowman Frank Dalton was to receive a posthumous bronze medal for his gallant conduct in rescuing ten Dutch seamen off the stricken coaster “WESTKUST”).
By the 1952 season, Shamrock II was to be re-named ‘Southampton Star’ having been bought by a Mr. S. J. Maguire of the Star Boat Company, (later to become Southampton Pleasure Cruises Limited) which had its principle place of b business at the Royal Pier Southampton. Twenty years of unbroken trade where to follow until the demise of the Royal Pier.
In March 1975 ownership of the Southampton Star was to pass from Sidney John Maguire and Florence Ethel Hall to Antony Stuart of Exmouth Devon. In October of the same year ownership passed to Christopher John Woodford of Torquay Devon until the vessel was purchased by S. C. Lane and Alun L. Jones of Menai Historical Cruises in 1999 for trading on Lake Padarn, Llanberis and renamed Seren Yr Wyddfa/Snowdon Star.
By April 2003 the vessel was in the sole ownership of Alun. L. Jones and S. Hughes-Jones trading as Llanberis Lake Cruises and has worked continuously on the lake to the present day.
Seren Yr Wyddfa/Snowdon Star was recorded as a National Historical Vessel. Certificate No. 311
Particulars of the vessel
Gross tonnage 11.64
Reg. tonnage 7.96
Official No. 357774
L. O. A. 45 foot
Beam 11 foot 6 inches
Draft 4 foot 6 inch
Number of Passengers 52 plus 2 crew
Hull Material 1 ⅜ “Larch planking on 4” x 4” Oak Frames
Engine Ford 4 Cylinder D Series 80 hp